Best New Food Recipe You Wanna Share With Your Readers by Amrutha
By Amrutha, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Hey everyone, today I get to share one of my favourite recipes: Kanchipuram Idly.
As the name suggests, it is from the famous city of Tamil Nadu, Kanchipuram. Idly is a famous dish in South India. The speciality of this dish is it is spiced with cumin, pepper, and ginger powder. It is famously offered as naivedyam in Varadaraja Perumal Temple in Kanchipuram. On to the recipe now,
For IDLI Batter:
▢1 cup idli rice
▢1 cup raw rice
▢¼ tsp methi/fenugreek
▢1 cup urad dal
▢2 tbsp gingelly oil
▢½ tsp cumin/jeera (crushed)
▢1 tsp pepper (crushed)
▢pinch hing / asafoetida
▢5 cashew / Kaju (chopped)
▢few curry leaves
▢½ tsp ginger powder
▢1 tsp salt
▢banana leaf / mantharai leaf cups
- In a small Kadai, heat 2 tbsp gingelly oil and splutter ½ tsp cumin, 1 tsp pepper, pinch hing, 5 cashews, and a few curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering over the idli batter.
- Also, add ½ tsp ginger powder and 1 tsp salt.
- Mix gently making sure the batter is well combined.
- Now heat the banana leaf slightly to make it flexible. You can alternatively use mantharai leaf cups, fold them slightly and place them in a small cup. grease the cup with gingelly oil.
- Pour prepared Kanchipuram idli batter into the cups filling ¾.
- Place the cups into the steamer and steam for 20 minutes.
Finally, enjoy Kanchipuram idli with chutney and sambar.